The Cariboo Regional District is seeking an experienced individual to fill the position of Manager of Development Services. This position will be based in the Central Cariboo office located in the City of Williams Lake, British Columbia, a thriving community with all major amenities. The Regional District is a rapidly growing area known for its agreeable climate, affordable housing, and a vast array of outdoor recreational opportunities.
Reporting directly to the Chief Administrative Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for planning, organizing and directing the affairs of the Development Services Department, which include the functions of Planning, Building Inspection and Bylaw Enforcement. The Manager of Development Services provides leadership for these departments and performs management functions such as the preparation of business plans and budgets.
The role of this senior position requires a skilled manager, computer literacy, and excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Thorough knowledge of local government planning legislation, regulations and practices is essential. The Manager must have the ability to read and interpret complex plans specifications, develop effective regulatory bylaws, and implement appropriate enforcement tactics to gain compliance. The Manager must also be able to communicate effectively with the Board of Directors. A valid BC Driver’s License is also required.
Preference will be given to applicants with the following qualifications:
- A degree in planning and/or building or related discipline;
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia and the Canadian Institute of Planners, and/or registered Building Official status with the Building Officials’ Association of BC;
- Knowledge of local government planning legislation, regulations and practices is essential;
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in management, development and mentoring of staff, preferably in a unionized environment;
- A self-started and critical thinker;
- Able to manage, prioritize, and execute multiple projects at one time
- Ability to act strategically, make decisions, and provide direction on complex and emerging issues.
Other applicants with an equivalent combination of training and experience will be considered.
If you are interested in this challenging career opportunity, which offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits, please forward your letter of application and resume, marked confidential, by 1:00 pm, Monday, April 24, 2017 to:
Bernice Crowe, Human Resources Advisor
Suite D - 180 North Third Avenue
Williams Lake, BC, V2G 2A4
Phone: (250)392-3351 or 1-800-665-1636;
Fax: (250)392-4748; Email: email@example.com
We thank all applicants in advance for their submissions; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will receive a response.
Page last modified: October 29, 2014 13:53:25 PDT